Unprecedented track record of sales leadership, management, and strategy success.
Skilled at delivering results under pressure and in uniquely challenging circumstances.
Experienced at leading diverse environments, cultures, business models, and industries.
Strong history of developing creative solutions to solve long standing problems.
Capable of effectively executing productive changes in established cultures and organizations.
Proficient in intrapreneurship and using startup techniques to innovate business models.
- Reversed a two-decade long trend of 8% year-over-year decreases in small business customers by creating and executing a strategy that successfully led to a 3% increase in 2016 at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
- Led the turnaround of a business unit to its first increase in revenue in 11 years. This division would go on to move from being the smallest small business sales channel in the organization to the largest in 4 years.
- After several years of unsuccessful attempts by predecessors, developed and implemented a solution to successfully monetize 300,000 non-paying small business customers. The solution also added value to and saved million dollar customers, created a six-figure product, and led to 20% growth in the call center.
Contact center management
Customer lifecycle improvement
Business model innovation
Agile product development
Intrapreneurship and startups
Culture and core values design
High performance team building
Sales and fundraising management
In/outside and in/outbound sales
Compensation plan design
Digital platform creation
Online community building
Social media sales and marketing
Value proposition development
U.S. Chamber of Commerce (2002 - present)
The United States Chamber of Commerce is the world’s largest business federation, representing more than three million businesses nationwide. Customer base is comprised of Fortune 1000 companies, small and medium sized businesses, trade associations, and local chambers of commerce. The Chamber’s primary mission is to advance business interests at the national level and the value proposition consists of tangible and intangible membership benefits, education & training products, sponsorships, and advocacy fundraising, amongst other things.
Managing Director, Small Business and Small Business Nation (2015 - present)
Promoted to absorb P&L responsibility and set the strategic direction of the national small business membership business unit. This consisted of general management responsibilities of national membership sales (field & phone), the national contact and sales center, small business digital properties, and direct mail channels.
- Led the first year-over-year increase in revenue of the legacy business in five years.
- Exceeded revenue objectives by 11% in 2016 and on track to exceed 2017 by 12%.
- Designed strategy to transform the traditional, field sold and annually renewed membership model to a digitally sold, freemium-based membership model.
- Relaunched the Chamber’s Small Business Nation online presence and created the first increase in small business membership in two decades.
- Used agile product development to increase engagement rates of members by 33x.
Managing Director, National Small Sales & Contact Center (2007 - 2015)
Promoted to absorb P&L responsibility of the Chamber’s national membership center, which is the Chamber’s largest presence outside of Washington, D.C. The center is an autonomous business unit and profit center that includes new membership sales, inside sales, customer service, political fundraising, and operations.
- Led the center to its first increase in revenue in 11 years and, eventually, to become the largest small business fundraising operation in the Chamber.
- Doubled revenue per sale through a new sales fundamentals initiative and an ongoing, peer-based training program.
- Identified culture as the primary obstacle to growth in the center and undertook an initiative to change it by creating and adopting core values and redesigning the compensation plan, recruiting practices, and training programs.
Special Projects Manager, Federation Relations (2006- 2007)
Promoted to find a solution to a longstanding problem of monetizing hundreds of thousands of non-paying small business members.
- After thoroughly auditing the business, leveraged relationships with Fortune 500 members to create product and service bundles for SMBs, a six-figure product for large members, a new revenue channel, and 20% growth in the call center.
Division Manager, Inside Sales (2005-2006)
Promoted to manage the inside sales team of the small business sales and contact center. Responsibilities included meeting and exceeding sales and revenue objectives; recruiting, hiring, and training sales directors; developing sales and fundraising messaging; sales operations management; sales coaching and development; and quality assurance.
- Exceeded sales goals 15 months in a row and total sales by 12% over the same period of time.
- Redesigned training and onboarding process and reduced ramp-up time to full production of new hires by 50%.
Manager, Corporate Relations (2005-2006)
Promoted to provide strategic and tactical support in developing a new business model to increase membership presence among midmarket companies.
- Designed structure and built a team to support a new, national sales force, ensuring they had sufficient appointments with customers and thorough customer research beforehand.
- Developed framework for the Corporate Leadership Advisory Council, a policy council for midmarket sized companies.
- Organized regional events to improve prospecting opportunities (e.g. Sarbanes-Oxley educational events for midmarket companies with SEC Chairman Chris Cox).
Membership Director, Small Business Membership (2002 - 2005)
Responsible for membership sales to small and medium sized businesses. Sales process required articulating the value of representation in Washington, D.C., the relevance of current events and legislation to the business community, and the latest political and election related updates to members.
- Exceeded sales quotas every month for three consecutive years.
- Qualified for President’s Club three years in a row.
Like My Mother Does
Advisor (2012 - present)
Like My Mother Does is a custom baby bedding venture that started on Etsy. Within months, demand dramatically exceeded capacity and the waiting list stretched almost four months long. I helped the founder turn her hobby into a boutique referral only business and discover profitability by developing financial, shipping, and inventory models; developing a pricing strategy that resulted in quadrupling prices; and updating and automating digital strategies.
After Hours Flowers
Advisor (2000 - 2002)
I was responsible for leading changes in this small-town retail florist that tripled sales, doubled margins, and positioned it to be acquired by investors. Changes I implemented included replacing expensive wire services with direct e-commerce solutions, updating pricing models, and positioning the domain to be a nationally oriented retail florist. Within a year, e-commerce represented more sales than its brick and mortar operations and After Hours Flowers established itself as a national online flower service. This led to an acquisition by investors in 2002.
Diverse Startup Experience
I am currently a mentor at REVTECH, a Dallas-based VC firm and accelerator. I was an early employee at Napster serving as a Systems Tester and Customer Service Representative and have founded several of my own companies. Among these was Imagine Promotions, an artist management and record label promotion company that represented many of the world’s top electronic music record labels and artists before being sold.
Southern Methodist University
Master of Business Administration (MBA), Finance (2016-2018)
Executive Leadership Program, Business Administration (2008)
Bachelor of Science in Management, Sales and Marketing (2005-2009), summa cum laude
Co-Founder, Southern Methodist University's Executive MBA Entrepreneurship Group (2016)
Panelist, Hubspot's INBOUND Nonprofit Panel (2016)
Speaker, North Central Texas Small Business Conference (2016)
Writer, Small Business Nation (2016 - present)
Interviewed as small business expert, FedEx Small Business Center (2016)
Writer, Navigating Organizational Change (2014 - present)
Guest Speaker, Call Center Association of Japan (2013)
Panelist, Call Center Forum, Irving Chamber of Commerce (2013)
Member, Association of Chamber of Commerce Executives (2013 - present)
Member, North Texas Chamber of Commerce Executives (2013 - present)